African violets are a fantastic addition to any houseplant menagerie. They’re easy to grow, come in a variety of vibrant colors, and bloom nearly year-round with the right care. But first-time growers might not be sure where to buy African violet plants, or what products they need to go along with them.
This guide will teach you everything you need to know to pick the best retailer, the perfect plant, and the right tools to keep your African violet happy and healthy for years to come. Let’s jump in!
Where to Buy African Violet Plants
If you’re wondering “Is there an African violet nursery near me?”—you’re in luck! These fuzzy flowers are one of the world’s most popular houseplants, and you can purchase them just about anywhere. Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of a few common options.
- Major retailers: Most major retailers sell affordable African violets in their attached garden centers. However, they’re in the business of quantity, not quality, so you might need to dig a little to find the healthiest houseplant of the bunch.
- Big-box garden centers: Garden center chains are another affordable, easily accessible place to buy African violets. Nursery staff at these businesses are knowledgeable and can help answer your pressing questions and concerns.
- Local garden centers: Shopping at a local nursery or garden center may have a slightly higher price tag, but you’re more likely to take home an African violet grown with extra love. (Plus, you’re supporting small businesses!)
- Online African violet retailers: If you’re looking for exotic African violets for sale—or just want home delivery—many online retailers offer special varieties and speedy delivery with the click of a button.
What to Keep in Mind Before You Buy
Deciding where to buy African violets is just the beginning. Picking the right plant and providing it the right conditions is essential. Keep these tips in mind before you buy.
- Placement: African violets like indirect light and will burn in direct sunlight. Before you head out to buy your plant, take a look around your home. Is there room to place it where it won’t get scorched? If not, do a little rearranging.
- Vitality: Select a healthy houseplant off the bat to set yourself up for success. Look for one with supple, deep-green leaves and vibrant foliage (if it’s in bloom). Avoid plants with spots on their leaves or crispy edges.
- Single center: Choose a plant with a single central point from which all new growth sprouts. This is called a single crown, and it increases the likelihood your plant will bloom consistently.
- Color: African violets come in a wide range of vibrant hues, giving you the creative freedom to select one (or a dozen!) that complements the colors in your home. Check out our guide to African violet color pairing for artistic inspiration.
- Growing tips: Once you buy an African violet, the rest is up to you. Check out 5 Growing Tips to Consider Before You Buy an African Violet to learn more about ongoing care.
Buy African Violet Care Products
Helpful care products make growing a healthy houseplant easy. At African Violet Resource Center, we offer the highest-quality tools and products to keep your plant happy for the long haul. Consider supplementing your garden practice with the following items:
1. African Violet Plant Food
Plants take up nutrients from the soil as they grow and fertilizer replaces what they’ve depleted. But African violets’ delicate root systems are easily scorched by conventional fertilizers. Our gentle plant food is specially formulated to provide key elements for growth, improve nutrient uptake, and correct soil deficiencies. No mixing, no measuring, no mess!
2. Houseplant Moisture Meter
Overwatering is one of the most common problems with African violets (after sunburn). That’s because their sensitive roots are easily choked out when waterlogged. Instead of guessing and suffocating your plant, use a soil moisture meter to determine when it’s time for a drink.
3. Houseplant Propagation Promoter
What’s better than one African violet? Multiple African violets! These flowers are easy to propagate (meaning you only need to figure out where to buy African violets once!). Our guide to African violet propagation will teach you how to grow new plants from leaf cuttings—and our houseplant propagation promoter will help speed up the process!
4. Root Supplement
Your African violet’s roots are its most precious resource. They absorb the nutrients your plant needs to power new growth and fight off fast-spreading diseases. Our root supplement keeps roots healthy and strong, preventing brown spots, leaf drop, and fungal and bacterial pathogens.
5. Houseplants for Millenials
What’s not to love about houseplants? They boost your mood, beautify your space, and reward you for your loving care by growing strong and healthy. Humans have nurtured houseplants for thousands of years—and younger generations are carrying the torch. Our book Houseplants for Millennials is an easy-to-understand guide to growing happy, healthy plant babies. And Instagram #bonus: it looks great on your coffee table.
What else would you like to know about where to buy African violet plants and products? Hit us with your pressing questions in the comments below!
Join the African Violet Club!
Whether you’re just starting out or are a seasoned grower, African Violet Resource Center has everything you need to help your plant grow vibrant and strong. Explore our other articles, visit our online shop, and connect with other houseplant lovers in our Facebook group to learn everything you need to know about this rewarding hobby!